Following the Government’s recommendation for all schools to review its governance procedures and move to a skills-based structure, ALAT has developed an innovative model of governance to ensure each academy is accountable for its decisions and that the best outcomes are available for students.
The Trust’s governance framework consists of the Trust Board, its various sub-committees, regional Accountability, Review and Challenge (ARC) groups and school-led Drive teams, to establish a professional and fit for purpose structure with a clear remit.
The main purpose of the governance structure is to drive school improvement and improve the outcomes for the children and young people within our academy. Representatives with high quality skill sets and experience will sit on the appropriate groups within the structure and reporting will be clear and rigorous.
Drive teams provide local governance for each academy within each region and act as a vehicle for driving school improvement at academy level through the direction of the academy Rapid Improvement documentation and regional ARC Group. The Drive team holds the Principal to account and reports to the Accountability Review and Challenge group through the allocated member.
The Rapid Improvement Report (RIR) has a management function of ensuring school improvement takes place with pace and focus. It identifies the priority areas for the Drive team to focus on.
The Accountability Review and Challenge (ARC) group provides regional quality assurance and accountability. This group holds the Regional Executive Principal to account. This group operates regionally across each hub, meets once a term and reports directly to the Trust Board. A member of the Trust board sits on this group.
How do the groups report?
The groups operate and report as shown in the diagram below.
Benefits of the new structure
- Advisors with the appropriate skill sets, experience and training will sit on groups within the structure and reporting will be clear and rigorous.
- A clear reporting structure is in place which ensures transparency, clear identification of actions, responsibilities, outcomes, and impact.
- Actions, outcomes, and impact are directly targeted at supporting specific areas of identified school improvement
- Outcome and impact are rigorously monitored, regularly revisited, and challenged at academy (Drive Team), regional (ARC group) and Board level to ensure successful outcomes are achieved.
- The structure not only supports a process but is designed to show clear lines of accountability and ownership of school improvement by all involved.
- The structure meets the Government’s expectations in terms of ensuring open, independent review and rigorous challenge as delegated to the Drive team and ARC group.
Drive Teams have been established to drive forward school improvement within the Trust’s academies by holding the academy Principal to account. The group will consist of the school Principal, parent, community, staff members, a co-opted member and the Regional Executive Principal who will attend to provide a quality assurance function. Parent and community members within this group will spend time in schools looking at aspects of the school which have been identified through the RIR as requiring intervention and improvement. The group therefore takes its lead from the RIR. The parent and community members will report back to ARC group through the nominated ARC member.
It is not the remit of the parent and community members to quality assure teaching within the school.
The Drive team meets half termly and parent members are required to engage with pupils through school visits or via the school council.
Parent and community member visits are an excellent way of looking independently at a school.
Further information regarding the remit of the Drive Team please see Drive Team Terms of Reference.
Apply to join a Drive Team
Being a member of the Drive Team provides an opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the Academy at this exciting stage of the Trust’s development. The group convenes termly or as a when required.
If you would like to become a member of the Drive Team, please follow the link below for further information and guidance.
Regional Accountability, Review and Challenge (ARC) Groups have been established across each region within our academy network. The ARC group meets 3 times a year with meetings being face to face within each region.
This group monitors the performance of the academies within the region, holds the Regional Executive Principal to account and supports and challenges the Regional Executive Principal to drive rapid school improvement and share best practice. The group reports to the Trust Board directly through the Regional Trustee who ensures that a ‘Golden Tread’ exists to link actions and information up and down between the individual schools and the Trust board.
The ARC Groups are split into three regions:
- Region 1 – Cornwall
- Region 2 – East
- Region 3 – North
ARC Group Members
ARC group members consist of the following for each region:
- The Chair for the ARC Group, who is the Regional Trustee* (who attends across the region and sits on the Trust Board)
- An independent National Leader of Governance* (who attends across the region and is the direct link to each school drive team)
- The Director of Primary Education/The Director of Secondary Education (who attend across the region)
- The Regional Executive Principal (who attends across the region)
- The Principal and Drive Team Chair/Lead (invited to attend but not members).
- The Regional Business Manager (invited to attend but not a member)
- An independent clerk
The majority of members will not be employees*
Full details of ARC members including their business and pecuniary interests are available on each academy website.
ARC Group Meeting Dates 2016/17
|Region 1||Region 2||Region 3|
|Tuesday 8th November 2016||Wednesday 9th November 2016||Thursday 10th November 2016|
|Tuesday 10th January 2017||Wednesday 11th January 2017||Thursday 12th January 2017|
|Tuesday 28th February 2017||Wednesday 1st March 2017||Thursday 2nd March 2017|
|Tuesday 25th April 2017||Wednesday 26th April 2017||Thursday 27th April 2017|
|Tuesday 13th June 2017||Wednesday 14th June 2017||Thursday 15th June 2017|
|Monday 10th July 2017||Tuesday 11th July 2017||Wednesday 12th July 2017|
ARC Group Meeting Dates 2017/18
|Region 1||Region 2||Region 3|
|Thursday 12th October 2017||Tuesday 10 October 2017||Tuesday 17th October 2017|
|Thursday 8th February 2018||Tuesday 6th February 2018||Tuesday 20th February 2018|
|Thursday May 24th 2018||Tuesday 22nd May 2018||Tuesday 5th June 2018|